San Giovanni in Venere (Fossacesia)
Home | Guestbook | Contact | Books
italiano
NewsLinksEventsPartners
HospitalityParksRoutesArt citiesCastlesMedieval churchesRefugesHandicraftGastronomyNews & Events
 Home » Medieval churches » San Giovanni in Venere (Fossacesia)
L'Aquila
S. Maria valle Porclaneta
(Magliano de' Marsi)
S. Maria Assunta
(Caporciano)
Oratorio S. Pellegrino
(Caporciano)
S. Maria in Criptas
(Fossa)
S. Pelino
(Corfinio)
S. Pietro
(Massa d'Albe)
S. Pietro Oratorium
(Capestrano)
Chieti
S. Giovanni in Venere
(Fossacesia)
Pescara
S. Bartolomeo
(Carpineto)
S. Clemente a Casauria
(Castiglione a Casauria)
S. Liberatore a Maiella
(Serramonacesca)
S. Maria D'Arabona
(Manoppello)
S. Maria the Lake
(Moscufo)
S. Maria Maggiore
(Pianella)
S. Tommaso
(Caramanico)
S. Maria in Piano
(Loreto Aprutino)
Teramo
S. Clemente the Vomano
(Guardia Vomano)
S. Giovanni ad Insulam
(Isola del Gran Sasso)
S. Maria Assunta
(Atri)
S. Maria in Vico
(Sant'Omero)
S. Maria of Propezzano
(Morro D'Oro)
S. Maria of Ronzano
(Castel Castagna)
S. Pietro in Campli
(Campli)

 San Giovanni in Venere (Fossacesia)


According to tradition the primitive church (8th century) that gave origin to the abbey of San Giovanni was built over the remains of a temple dedicated to Venus.
The current construction is owed to abbot Oderisio II (1155-1204), who was buried in the sarcophagus walled into the main faƧade.
 
The most striking aspect of the building is chiefly the monumental prospect, with its great, ornate portal Ā“of the MoonĀ” (13th century). Around the lintel of this door, four white marble slabs are sculpted with the story of St John the Baptist.
The interior of the church has a abasilica layout, whit a nave and two aisles that terminate in apses.
 
The presbytery, raised above the level of the hall, is framed by a impressive triumphal depressed lancet arch. The altar, an ancient marble slab, is placed in the centre of the apse.
Below the presbytery there is a crypt where interesting medieval frescoes cover the domes of the apses.
The visit concludes in the cloister which is formed by a gallery of twenty-nine triforium windows with sixty-eight plinth less mullions and coussinets decorated variously with phytomorphous and zoomorphous motifs.
24/10/2006


  Home | Guestbook | Contact | Books
© 2004-2005 - Content and Design are property of Abruzzo Verde Blu - Credits: