The church greets the visitor with its solemn triple arch portico of Burgundian inspiration. Before entering the great hall, visitors should pause to take in the ancient gilt bronze doors that close the central entrance.
These double doors, made in about 1191, were originally decorated with 72 panels; about fifteen panels illustrate the castles and crenellated towers that were part of Casauria abbeyÂ’s domain.
The interior is a Latin cross layout with a nave and two aisles. The space is cadenced by a series of pillars and semi columns that support the arches.
Ornaments include the tabernacle, the altar the Paschal candle and the ambo. The candle and the ambo are of some artistic interest, set opposite one another halfway along the central nave, each in a different material, with different decoration and style, the former dating back to the early 13th century and the latter dated 1176-1182.