San Liberatore a Maiella
Home | Guestbook | Contact | Books
italiano
NewsLinksEventsPartners
HospitalityParksRoutesArt citiesCastlesMedieval churchesRefugesHandicraftGastronomyNews & Events
 Home » Medieval churches » San Liberatore a Maiella
L'Aquila
S. Maria valle Porclaneta
(Magliano de' Marsi)
S. Maria Assunta
(Caporciano)
Oratorio S. Pellegrino
(Caporciano)
S. Maria in Criptas
(Fossa)
S. Pelino
(Corfinio)
S. Pietro
(Massa d'Albe)
S. Pietro Oratorium
(Capestrano)
Chieti
S. Giovanni in Venere
(Fossacesia)
Pescara
S. Bartolomeo
(Carpineto)
S. Clemente a Casauria
(Castiglione a Casauria)
S. Liberatore a Maiella
(Serramonacesca)
S. Maria D'Arabona
(Manoppello)
S. Maria the Lake
(Moscufo)
S. Maria Maggiore
(Pianella)
S. Tommaso
(Caramanico)
S. Maria in Piano
(Loreto Aprutino)
Teramo
S. Clemente the Vomano
(Guardia Vomano)
S. Giovanni ad Insulam
(Isola del Gran Sasso)
S. Maria Assunta
(Atri)
S. Maria in Vico
(Sant'Omero)
S. Maria of Propezzano
(Morro D'Oro)
S. Maria of Ronzano
(Castel Castagna)
S. Pietro in Campli
(Campli)

 San Liberatore a Maiella


The monastery of S. Liberatore was governed by Montecassino and run by the AbbotÂ’s rector. Built in 1007 by the monk Teobaldo,  it was re-constructed in 1080 by Desiderio, Abbot of Montecassino who sent artists and masons to start a school which undertook building in Abruzzo. 
 
 
The façade design recalls Lombard style and it has in the upper order three simple monoforium windows, and in the lower order three portals typical of the most ancient kind of Abruzzese Gothic.
The interior is a basilica layout: a nave and two aisles cadenced by seven round arches resting on rectangular pillars. The ceiling has been rebuilt with exposed wooden trusses.
 
 
The remain of a polychromatic geometric composition, made by marquetry craftsmen in 1200, decorate the floor of the central nave. Before its restoration the apse dome had two superimposed frescoes, which have been separated.
The more recent, dated around 1500, was transferred into several panels and depicts the monk Teobaldo in the act of donating the church. The fresco left in the place dates back to the 12th century and traces of saintly figures are visible. The square-base ambo rests on four plinthless columns and bears a striking resemblance to those of S. Clemente a Casauria and S.Pelino a Corfinio, both late 12th century. 
07/06/2006


  Home | Guestbook | Contact | Books
© 2004-2005 - Content and Design are property of Abruzzo Verde Blu - Credits: